Friday, January 23, 2009

Back in the swing of things...


So I am back in China now...Here's the breakdown...

I arrived on Sunday night January 4th...without my luggage...it got left in America. Just once I would like a flight to go exactly as planned with all of the luggage in at least the correct country. Is that too much to ask?

I got back and was talking to a friend, so I forgot to call my mom. She was a little worried. It didn't even cross my mind that she might be worried. oops... She did finally call me after emailing a few of my friends to see if they had heard from me. I was so tired, and I couldn't think straight anyway...but there is no excuse. sorry mom:)

I decided to just jump back in, so that maybe there would be no jet lag...It worked when I flew back to america...go 48 hours without sleep and it is easy to get on a different schedule. What I am saying is that I flew in Sunday night, and then went to school Monday. We didn't do math, but I was there. It did work pretty well though. I didn't really experience jet lag at all this time.

I did a few things with friends that week. Brad had made some chinese friends while I was gone, I kinda already knew them. So we all got together a few times...Brad also got a roommate the day after I got back...Ty. You can read about him on Brad's blog...just click on the word Ty. Ty is pretty cool, and I am glad that he is here, because now Brad has another guy to hang out with.

I had a Christmas celebration or two when I got back because I had missed Christmas in China. I did Christmas with my classes on January 9th. I even put my Christmas tree in my classroom. Then that night I had Christmas with Carrie J. and Vikki and Brad. It was lovely and I learned how to play Mahjong (the real thing). I finished Christmas on January 13th when Brad and I opened presents.

I got The Office-Trivia Game from Angela when I was home, so me and a few of my friends tried it out...it was super fun!

Friday (the 16th) was a half-day at school (end of the quarter) and so I went to help my students with an outreach they were doing. We went downtown and passed out scarves and hats to people who needed them. I got to put gloves on a really cute little baby. It was my favorite, because he was so proud of his new gloves! There are pictures...I will post later.Later, I got to rescue Brad in downtown Xi'an, because his wallet was stolen. Saturday, we did a toys for tots thing in a village just outside of Xi'an. It was a beautiful area, but the skies were kinda gray so you may not be able to see its beauty. However, I do have some great pictures of little chinese kids.

Saturday afternoon, I went and got a foot massage with carrie b! Sunday I went to a meeting, and then came home to talk to Brianna on skype! She showed me I love you in sign language, and that made me so excited. When I left Alabama she had been moved to her own room, but we still didn't know the extent of her brain damage. She had her one eye open, but we just really didn't know. When I talked to her on skype, she had both eyes open, and was doing all kinds of new tricks. Now she is talking and pottying and all kinds of other normal kid stuff. I serve an Amazing Creator who still does miracles. You can check on Brianna at her caringbridge site...www.caringbridge.com/visit/briannanewsome...She will be back a full force very soon, and only a month ago we weren't sure if she was going to make it. Anyway...after I talked to Bri and my mom, I went to get my nails done with Carrie J. and Vikki...I know this seems like a lot of pampering for someone who is in my line of work, but here things are a lot cheaper...I paid $7 for the 1.5-hour massage and $4 for the nails...you wanna live in china too, huh? Then we sat at Starbucks for several hours just having a good girl-talk...I don't usually have much time for that, so this was nice. Why do I have more time, do you ask...Because...

I am out of school for 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I love Chinese New Year!!!!! See in china, chinese new year is a really big deal, so we get a 3 week break for that. I know you are thinking that is not fair, but we only got 2 days for Christmas and 2 days for new year's and nothing for thanksgiving. So, be thankful for what you have too...it is just different.

This past monday, I went shopping with a chinese friend, and tried squid for the first time...not a huge fan...

Tuesday- slept til noon! another chinese friend came over, and we went shopping and to pizza hut and then watched a movie.

Wednesday- slept til noon! lunch with Jenee, dinner with Jon and Patti...

Thursday-slept til noon! Dinner with Carrie J., Vikki, and Ty.

Friday- Slept til noon! Dinner and shopping with Jenee...almost got frostbite...It is really cold in Xi'an.

Saturday I will spend some time with Kalina...Sunday-Carrie and Vikki...happy chinese new year's eve...there will be explosions, I mean fireworks, all over town!!!

Monday final preparations for Thailand...

Tuesday- leave my home at 5am to head for the airport!!!Off to Thailand!!! I am so excited!!! I am going to the beach to live in warm weather for about 2 weeks!!! Then Back to Xi'an to finish the school year!!!wooohooo!....

So that should catch you up at least almost!

My next update should be from Thailand!!!

Thanks for reading about my adventures! feel free to leave a comment on how ridiculous all of this is:)

I love you all very much and can feel your support even though I am thousands of miles away.

much love from china

Some Pictures related to this blog
.

1 comment:

Annis Family Adventure said...

Hi Cari, I wanted to tell you that we set up a blog. You can visit it at http://annisfamilyadventure.blogspot.com/

It has been fun keeping up with you through this. And now I have Brad's in my favorites as well. I can't wait until we are there with you guys!! Talk to you soon.