October was a very busy month...I love October. It probably has something to do with it being my birthday month and that I really love fall weather...
In China, as you may recall from last year, they have a national holiday to celebrate the beginning of this part of their country's history. This is recognition of the cultural revolution that took place in 1949. This year was the 60th anniversary so things were a little more festive than usual. You could compare this to our Independence Day except for the fact that the Chinese people celebrate for an entire week. So because I teach at a school in China, we also observe the national holiday. The actual day is October 1st, but we were out of school from the 1st to the 7th. This was a great opportunity to travel so I did.
If you don't remember from before, Zach and Carrie Brinegar are really awesome people, and since I have been back in China I have spent most of my time with them. They have really become family to me here in China. I really love them and they take great care of me! Also, on July 5th they had a baby! His name is Kai and he is one of the cutest babies I have ever met. The reason I am telling you all of this is that because they are basically my family here in China, they pretty much take me with them wherever they go. Because of this, when they got the opportunity to go somewhere, they invited me to go along with them!
The four of us used our October holiday to travel to Yinchuan. It is a city north and west (I think) of Xian and is much much smaller. We stayed with some of our team members there, and really had a great time relaxing and seeing what was there. We ate western food for basically every meal (because they cooked for us) so that was a real treat! It made it really feel like a vacation. We went to the mountains and it was really really beautiful... Some Chinese people think that maybe aliens visited this site and drew some things on the stones in the mountains, but I am not too sure that I believe that...;) You can see some of the drawings and explanations in my pictures.
Another day we went to a part of the Great Wall that hadn't been completely restored yet. It was mostly a large pile of dirt toward the end of it, but this was a part where the wall stopped because there was a lake there. It was really cool because I really wanted to travel to Beijing to see the wall there, but I couldn't make it work for October holiday. I will eventually go there, but this will do for now! I'm standing on top of the big pile of dirt in the picture;)
October had been awesome at this point and it had only been one week!
Note to my peeps: I am having trouble with posting pictures because of the program I use. There are several websites that I like to use that I cannot currently use. I am hoping that soon I will have access to them again, but because of this it is taking me longer to get pictures attached to my blog;) It also means that I cannot use facebook. You are welcome to leave me messages, but I won't be able to respond on facebook. I am able to read them though;)
love from china
Pictures from this blog will be posted soon hopefully;)

1 comment:
Hey girl, sounds like you're a traveling girl! First time I've read your blog in a while, my phone is history and Alan hasn't got me another one yet :( we are doing good, miss you lots!
Post a Comment