Monday, September 15, 2008

This week in review...


So yep this week was the busiest one yet....
really let's start with last weekend...
Saturday we got up early and went to a friend's house (carrie j., not to be confused with carrie b. the principal's wife) and she took us to the cloth market...I have never seen so many kinds of material in my life. It was here that I realized the possibilities for decorating my apartment, (bedspreads, curtains, pillows, clothes if I run out....)On our way home later that evening we decided to stop by mcdonald's (that was my first time in china! I have also been to KFC and pizza hut)...we did make it home by ourselves walking no less.
Sunday went as planned and I got to sing for our meeting (woohoo!) I miss the choir.

Monday was pretty normal...yawn...tuesday night I had the best foot massage ever! Okay, so foot massage is definitely not a good description of what happened. It was really a half body massage with all of my clothes on...It lasted 90 minutes or so and I felt sooo sooo good after it was over. They soaked my feet in tea (to detox) and then started at my head. She rubbed my head and arms for a while. She stuck her fingers in my ears, which was really weird cause I wasn't expecting it... then she worked on my feet for a really long time (that was the best part) then she worked on my legs for a while...at the end she brought in a bag of really hot rocks and just laid them on my back...it was sort of like a heating pad, but way better!

Wednesday, I took one of my new nieces, Arianna, shopping. She and another niece are going to help me decorate my apartment because they know where things are and how to get us there. Later that night it started raining in my apartment. Just kidding, well actually the girl that lives above me had left her bathtub running and had gone to get some moon cakes. She hurried home so it stopped raining soon. Usually rain in xian makes me excited, this time it caused a little bit of worry :0 no serious damage so no big deal:) Then brad and i attempted to go to a chinese corner...a free way to learn chinese through conversation...we got there a little late and so there weren't any people left to talk to us...they have really good wifi there so we sat and drank orange tea and played on the internet for a while...it was fun, but maybe next time we will learn some chinese.

Thursday....ummm....oh yes; on thursday we had a party in the afternoon because this past weekend was the moon festival a.k.a. mid-autumn festival a.k.a. national holiday...the party was really fun and I got to meet my chinese teacher for the first time...I start classes on the 22nd! The teachers at the language school threw the party for us and we all had lots of fun!

Friday...bluejeans at school...woohoo...and we had a building party...since almost all of the teachers live in the same place, it is easy for us to hang out. we had a party friday and we ate hamburgers and chocolate zuchini (sp?) cake (really yummy) and then we watched the new batman movie (i know, i know you are wondering how is that possible?....things just work different here in china)

Saturday we had a marriage seminar, but since I am not married and won't be for a while, I volunteered to watch the kids during the seminar...the day was long, but not horrible...Later that night we (brad and i) went over to carrie j.'s house to play a monopoly rematch and eat dinner...we had chilli, it was delicious! The monopoly game was bizarre, but that would be too hard to explain :)

Sunday was rough...I woke up about 9:45 and talked to mom and checked my email, but I was feeling really really bad so at about 10:15am I went back to bed. Our meetings on sundays start at 2pm so I had time for a nap...I woke back up at 12:30pm and started getting ready, but I felt horrible. I finished getting ready and went to the meeting expecting to feel better. well lots of people were super awesome, and I was feeling a little better before I left...oh it kinda felt like the flu...I had plans for the evening though, so I didn't feel like I could just go home and rest...we went to dinner at an indian restaurant, but i didn't really feel like eating...then we went to see roger and hamerstien's rendition of cinderella...it was broadway-asia. the show was in english and was well done, but i had already seen the brandy version and so I knew it all. I just really wanted to sleep. When I got home, I checked my email and went to bed. I slept for 12 hours! Since we didn't have school on monday it was okay for me to sleep late. When I woke up, I was a new person...I am not sure what I had, but I hope I don't get it again...

Today/Monday...we went to a place called the Tang Paradise (click here). It is a really big park sort of thing in the middle of the city...which is kinda weird. It was really awesome though. there are lots of things to see there and we are definitely going back again and again...