If you didn't know already, I am in America right now...this is how I got here.
I was just getting used to the idea that I was going to be in China for Christmas, and I was feeling like that was ok. But then...
Saturday December 20, everything changed.
On Friday December 19, 4 of my family members were involved in a car accident. My aunt cyndi (my mom's youngest sister), and my cousins JT and Brianna (My cousin Jackie's kids) and Tori (my aunt cyndi's youngest child). They were on their way to meet my mom when they were hit head on by a coal truck. My Aunt Cyndi (35 years old) was killed immediately and the three children were transported to the hospital. JT (7 years old) and Brianna (5 years old) were both in critical condition so much so that they were air lifted to Children's Hospital in Birmingham. Tori (4 years old) was not hurt as bad, and so she was transported by ambulance. My mom rode to the hospital with her. JT's injuries were really bad, and not too long after he arrived at the hospital he would also go to be with the Lord. Brianna was still in critical condition, but her prognosis was much more hopeful than JT's. Tori was also injured, but her injuries were far less serious than the others.
Saturday morning in China, my mom called me. She called my cell phone and told me that she was fine, my daddy was fine and noah was fine, but I needed to call Carrie B. and have her come to my apt. Then I knew that it was serious. My mom wouldn't have said any of that if it hadn't been. Carrie B. hurried down, and I called my mom back. She proceeded to tell me what was going on. At this point Aunt Cyndi and JT had already passed away, and Brianna wasn't doing great. I was able to see and talk to Tori which was reassuring. I have really awesome people in china who began to take care of getting me home. by saturday afternoon-china time- I had a flight for sunday morning. After a bit of a fiasco, i arrived in birmingham at about 2am monday morning-alabama time. I immediately went to the hospital to see Jackie and Brianna. It was hard, but my father is faithful to do and provide more than I could ever imagine. Monday night we had the visitation, and Tuesday we had both funerals...This was the hardest day I have ever lived through. I don't think I have ever been as broken-hearted as I was that day. but He came to bind the broken-hearted.
We have suffered a great loss, but we have been given so much and have been blessed in so many ways. If you haven't heard me say it, let me tell you that my family is the most awesome group of people I have ever met. We are not perfect, but if anyone is in need, there is someone who will notice and do something about it. Our family is constantly giving to others, and when we were in need, we were able to see the product of what we had sown into others...There were 800+ people at the visitation monday night. It was supposed to be from 6-8pm, but that wasn't possible. We began letting people in at about 5:30 and had a constant stream of people until 10pm. My father is faithful to provide when His children are in need. The outpouring of support that we have seen is indescribable. JT was able to give both kidneys and his liver to other children. This was a christmas miracle for at least two families. Brianna has a long road of recovery ahead of her, but is getting better day by day. We have taken turns being strong for one another and that has made all the difference.
The day after the funerals was Christmas Eve so we tried to do Christmas as usual (for the kids). It wasn't the same, and it never will be the same, but it was a great time of healing. It was really hard because it felt like we had to "move on" quickly. Instead of skyping me in from China, we skyped Jackie and John in from the hospital. No one has ever missed Christmas at Gmoms, until this year...it was supposed to be me. I wish it had been. I have been at home since the 21st and will be here until Jan 3.
As the days go by, things get a little easier, but things will never be the same.
Things to think about:
-Brianna is still in the hospital and will be for a while longer. She has a caring bridge site so that you can keep up with how she is doing.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/briannanewsome
-My aunt cyndi has 3 daughters. Megan is 11, Aaliyah is 6, and Tori is 4.
-Our family is tough, but is broken-hearted.
-He will be glorified in everything that is done.
-Give thanks that this Christmas, Aunt Cyndi and JT were able to sleep in heavenly peace. Pictures Below: JT and My mom and Aunt Cyndi. Aunt Cyndi is the taller one.


-Also give thanks for all of my friends in China that helped me get home and kept me company while I was getting packed.
Carrie B.- sat with me while I talked to mom, and made list of things to pack, and got the ball rolling on my plane tickets
Patti and Jon- Just sat with me and told me not to worry about anything in China.
Carrie J.-got the plane tickets and other travel arrangements
Jenee- made me breakfast so I could eat before I left.
Sherry- rode with me to the airport.
Brad-did everything a best friend should. Stayed with me while I packed. Stayed up with me all night so that maybe I would be able to sleep on the plane. Rocky 2,3, and 4 were awesome.
I know this blog was a little scattered, if you have questions just ask.
much love from the usa
4 comments:
That could not have been an easy blog to write. Thank you for the updates and being so willing to share your life. Our father can use this openness to help heal others too!
Can't wait for you to get back. Enjoy your time with the family... and US conveniences!
Thanks for sharing your heart. I know you have been hurting but you also know your family is in heaven. I'm glad I got to see and visit with you but hate it was under these circumstances. Praying for "space" on your flight back to China. Love you and LOVED hearing your sweet laugh while you were here. Hugs! Ms. Jane
I am so sorry that I didn't read this while you were still in the states. We will definitely be thinking of your family and you now that you are back in China. We miss you back at Thompson. Remember that all things work for good.
Post a Comment