Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Here, there, and everywhere...


Just so you know...Since my last blog things have been pretty good...it is amazing what happens when you change the way you think about things...I still don't know anything new, but I'm okay with that.

Okay, this will be my catch up blog. Lots of randomness, and none of the usual monday, tuesday, wednesday,...


A Buddhist Temple...

We visited a Buddhist Temple a few weeks ago, and let me be the first to say that it was really weird being in there. Most of it is open air...and then there are specific buildings for specific things...there were a couple of rooms that seemed to be "Hell" rooms...I stepped over the threshold of one of them, and had to walk back out...I literally felt like I was gonna throw up for about 10 minutes...and yes I know why that happened...my biggest problem is that people were praying in there, but I am not sure why or what they were saying...there are a few pictures, but none of the Hell rooms. I don't want to remember those.

The Haircut!!!
I decided it was time to cut my hair! I have done that once before I left america, and I trimmed it just a little in October, but it had grown just a little past my shoulders, and it was time...So one saturday afternoon, I decided to do it...So on March 7th I cut about 3 inches off of my hair! and of course there are before and after pictures!

The New School
If I didn't say this already, we are moving our school to a new building...the one that we have now will be replaced by a very large road within the next 10 years, maybe. So we have to move. I went to the new site...a diamond in the rough for sure, but a diamond none the less. It is gonna be awesome!!!The view from the roof is super fabulous, and our new apartments are just down the street...oh yeah, I am going to be moving as well. These apartments look super nice, and are brand new! I think I will be moving in May, but I will let you knwo for sure when it happens and yes there will be pictures, I promise.

Karaoke
I have experience karaoke in China!!! It is definitely different than in America...I think Americans think they must be at least a little drunk to get over the stage fright that accompanies karaoke, so most karaoke happens in bars. China, and maybe asia in general has done something better...I think. When you do Karaoke, you have your own room, there is no stage to be afraid of. It was a lot of fun, and it was really loud, and sort of obnoxious, but fun...yes they do have english songs...lots of really awesome ones...and chinese songs...oh and the chinese people take it a little more seriously than we do, but it is still okay to laugh which was nice because there are always reasons to laugh when singing songs that you are not really capable of singing...anyway

Fishing...
So even though I live in a city, my chinese friends were able to take us fishing...we took a bus from close to where we live, and then we rode it until it stopped...we got off and walked for a mileish and then we were there. It wasn't a pond out in a field or a river or a lake, it was more like a fish farm...two cement ponds with fish in them, but it was still fishing...it was quiet and relaxing so I think the idea of fishing was still realized...(i don't know what I was trying to say either). I didn't catch anything, but that doesn't matter to me, I just like to fish.

English Corner
I have been back to English Corner a few times, and now I realize how much I missed it. These are chinese students that are just a little younger than me, and so I have made many friends there...It has been really nice getting to know a few of them...They have been so nice in showing us around, and letting us practice our chinese with them too, mostly we let them practice their English...I really do love being involved in this and know that that is a place where I can make a difference. I remember being where they are in life because I am kinda still there, and that makes it easier for me to connect with them...they go through the same things I do. Though sometimes it is a little hard to connect on that level when there are language barriers, but I am glad to know that really we are all a lot alike. anyway....

The park
There is a park fairly close to where we live, and I went there for the first time the other day. It was really big, and quite awesome! That is where I found the big red door...and that is where my friends raced through the obstacle course...I am working on uploading a video of that... It was lovely outside, so it was just a really great afternoon!

The snow day! we also had one morning of snow here in xian, and it was lovely, we still had to go to school, but I loved getting to see the snow...

Life in China is awesome even though I have a routine. I thought life in America was awesome too...and I had lots more going on there. It is just me loving life in a different place. That doesn't mean I don't have bad days...I did in America too. That is quite normal, I think. I miss you all very much, and will officially be flying home on June 30th (the tickets have been purchased). However, this will only be for a visit. I will be flying back here on August 1st so that I can spend another year in this beautiful country. I know you guys think about me regularly and I want you to know that I am so very thankful for that. It is because of you and the faithfulness of my Father that I have more good days than I do bad ones.

I will be writing more often now...

AND, I want to say a big congrats to all my friends in the states who have recently given birth! Lots of people I know are having babies...Specifically, and born in this order...

Heidi Sheehan(Teacher at TMS) has a new baby girl, Anna!
Cheryl Morgan(friend from Kingwood) has a new baby boy, Trey!
Janet Griffith (teacher at TMS) has a new baby boy, Joshua!


Oh and one more thing, today I bought a shirt that says "No Paint, No Gains." I am sure that those are words we can all live by.;)

Love from china!

Other Pictures!

No comments: