Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lemme break it down for you...



This past week (sept.22-sept.26) was super crazy busy (adjectives are my super-fabulous friends), and I think that this will probably be the norm. So here goes...

Monday, Monday(ba da ba da da da)---Went to school and was an awesome teacher, blah, blah, blah...after school, I went to the straight up ghetto. We went there on purpose don't worry... In the ghetto (sung like Elvis), we went to an import storeish thing. It really wasn't a store; it was really more like an undercover import operation (it just felt like that really). They have some really cool stuff there, but I didn't buy anything, maybe next time. Then I went to dinner with some of my friends, it was yummy. Then I had a meeting where I discussed some stuff with "dad". I had some stuff that was bothering me, so it was a good time.

Tuesday---hmmm... oh yeah more of the awesome teacher stuff...gave my first test! After school I had my first chinese lesson!!!!! I was so excited and still am about learning chinese. I am expecting to be fluent soon!just kidding :) My chinese teacher is awesome...I meet with her twice a week for an hour, and she is a great teacher! During this lesson, I was only allowed to listen, no speaking at all. We did a lot. I learned all of the initial sounds, the final sounds and was able to listen to them and pick them out. I was so proud of myself because listening is the hardest part for me right now. Anyway, after chinese we had a birthday partaaay! Carrie B. The principal's wife turned 27 and we had an awesome party...Me and Carrie B. hit it off really soon after I got here, and I am really loving being around her because she is awesome! I took her to my new favorite purse shop, where I had recently bought 2 new purses that are awesome, and got her a birthday purse! While we were at the restaurant me and carrie b. decided that we needed to be ballerina's and so we were. We danced a little...it was so fun! then we had pineapple upside down cake for the party cake made by our friend jane...it was yummy!

Wednesday---what was wednesday? umm...lemme think...oh yes, school. I got to school wednesday morning, and on my desk was a ballerina pin...yep someone from the night before had gotten me and carrie b. a ballerina pin because we were awesome ballerinas...So I was now a sleuth. I had to figure out who it was because they really made me feel special and I wanted to say thank you. So after a lot of thought and many questions and some help from others I finally figured out that it was Kalina! I haven't talked about her much, but she is pretty awesome too! Kalina teaches 2nd grade at XIS and her husband teaches 3rd grade. They are really awesome and just nice peeps! So needless to say, that day because of the pin, I was a ballerina...I did some sort of dance move everytime I had the chance. After school, I had dinner with some friends at a Korean place...and then graded all of my tests from tuesday. By the way, I graded all of my tests for all of my classes in just one night, in the states that could never happen.

Thursday---Thursday was a bit chillier than usual! I am so happy that the weather is changing!!! I heart autumn! Anyway, awesome teacher...blah, blah...wore my ballerina pin again just for fun. Got to love on a fifth grader who was having a rough afternoon. I know these are not complete sentences, but I am writing the way I am thinking remember. Second Chinese Class!!!
After class!--Adventures in transportation... I went thursday night to meet another girl on our team for dinner. She doesn't live close, so I offered to meet her somewhere near her home to eat. We went to a dumpling place...To get to the restaurant I could either take a taxi or a bus (it was raining and it was a really long walk). Language is still an issue, so I chose bus (it required the least amount of communication). I hopped on a bus (the 212) and took it to the second stop after you turn right past the tv tower...aren't you guys glad I am good with directions?...I made it to my destination without any trouble. Michelle, the girl I had dinner with, was waiting on me at the bus stop so I wouldn't get lost...Then after dinner, I caught another bus to carrie j's house (i am dogsitting for her this week). I went because I needed instructions on how to care for things including Memphis (her dog) while she was gone. When I left carrie j's, I got in a taxi and told them where I wanted to go, and I got there! This is a significant part of getting around in china. I can walk most places, but sometimes I do have to use other modes of transportation. I am getting the hang of it!

Friday!!!-Awesome teacher with jeans on at school! Partied with the fifth graders (Brad's class).Got some stuff done after school (can't remember what though). It was a little cooler and wet...Brad and I went into the hu tong (village) to get dinner, but we couldn't decide right away so we walked a little bit... This was when I met my newest chinese friend Bob...okay, so bob is really not a friend, but he is my new bonzai tree that I will introduce you to later. He is not ready for pictures yet, he needs a bath and a haircut. I also bought bob a friend, lets call her lola. She is a beautiful plant, but I am not sure who her parents are or where she came from. I am so excited to have some plants that I decided to name them. If you know me well, that won't seem completely odd. So Bob and Lola may be the topic of a future blog...just wait and see! I know the anticipation is killing you...ok so, back to life, back to reality (remember to sing it). The plants were kinda heavy (Bob is fat, brad had to carry him) so we took them back to our apartments (brad got a plant too, not sure if he named it though). Then we went back into the hu tong for dinner...This is where the real fun began. We found this restaurant toward the back of the hu tong, and we decided to go in...This was super adventurous of us because this was the first time we didn't have pictures to order with. Brad got out his dictionary, and we dug through the menu...we ordered more food than we should have eaten, but we ate most of it...I have the proof. The before and after pictures are above...It was a successful dinner experience!
After dinner, I began my duties as a dogsitter...
Memphis, the aforementioned dog, belongs to one of the other Carries on the team (yes there are three of us) and she has an apartment about 2 miles from where I live. While dogsitting I am staying at her place. The first night of dogsitting was uneventful...but wait there's more.

Saturday---I slept until 11am it was awesome. I got up and talked to some of my peeps on skype (if you don't have skype what are you waiting for?) At about 1pm, I laid back down for a nap. I know being awake for 2 hours was hard work...While enjoying my nap the fun began. Memphis proceeded to throw up about 12 times in the next 12 hours, and then after that was all cleaned up he had diarrhea. He is doing fine now, but I had to clean a lot, and replace a rug. I have never seen a dog throw up so much and then when I thought things were getting better there was poo everywhere. Some of you are laughing I am sure, but you didn't smell what I smelled. I almost tossed my cookies several times while cleaning... Anyway, long story short, my week long break from school has been a bit interesting.

oh yea, I didn't tell you that. This week, sept. 29-oct. 3, is a week long holiday in china. Almost everyone has the week off! woohoo!

there will be more to read soon!
love from china...if you are reading this then you definitely rock!