Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Village aka the hu tong...



This is probably the most anticipated blog yet...only because I have said I was going to do it about 3 times already. So its time...

Really close to where I live, there is a village with village people. This is where my heart is. I love the hu tong! It is sorta like the projects here in china, but it isn't scary. Anyway, in the hu tong you can find almost everything...there are tons of restaurants that have really good cheap food. There are venders all along the streets selling whatever they have to sell...food, fish(for pets not for eating), plants...There are all kinds of shops as well....shoes, hair salons, and some of the shops just have a bit of everything. At home most of these places would be referred to as a "hole in the wall" place, but it doesn't seem so odd since all of the shops and restaurants are almost literally holes in the wall. The hu tong seems to be hoppin' the most around 9 or 10 at night during the week....or at least that is what I have observed so far. Don't worry, I don't go that late by myself. I take a "super hero" and Brad usually (not that brad isn't a super-hero). I was referring to someone else though. [If you didn't "get" all of that, don't worry I am not sure I did either.] The hu tong feels all chinese, not a bit western so I think that is part of the reason I like being there. It feels like I always thought china would feel. It is where the really poor people live, and nobody really knows how many people live there. The sad thing is that the hu tongs are not super common anymore, and the one next to us is about to be bulldozed. They are putting a road through it...:(

here are some....
Pictures